[c-nsp] BGP Peer Group drawbacks???

Bob Arthurs bob_arthurs at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 18:31:47 EST 2010

Hi all,

A colleague recently told me not to use BGP peer groups because he insists that there a drawbacks to using them.

Does anyone know of any drawbacks to peer groups????

I dug the following up on the Cisco website:

"Cisco IOS Software Releases earlier than 11.1(18)CC have the
	 limitations described in this section. Failure to adhere to these rules can
	 result in inconsistent routing.

	 If you use peer groups for clients of a route reflector, all the
		clients must be fully meshed.

	 If you use an eBGP peer group, transit cannot be provided among the
		peer group members.

	 All eBGP peer group members must be from the same subnet to avoid
		non-connected next hop announcements.

  However, these limitations were removed starting with Cisco IOS
	 Software Releases 11.1(18)CC, 11.3(4), and 12.0. Only the router on which the
	 peer groups are defined needs to be upgraded to the new code."

But the above limitations have now gone, so I can't think of what drawbacks he might be refering to.

Anyone know??

THanks in advance!