[c-nsp] BGP Peer Group drawbacks???

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Jan 10 08:19:01 EST 2010

> and # of prefix's etc...I guess a question could be - why wouldn't you use
> templates - even for a simple BGP config?  Any ISP ops on the list - do you
> use templates, peer-groups - or both?

We use templates, including inheritance. They're very handy.

 From memory however, some things don't quite work with them - the only
specific example I can think of is using a "bgp listen" e.g. on a
route-reflector, which will allow any BGP router from a particular
subnet range to connect. IIRC on 12.2SX, when I tried it, it didn't
support templates, just peer-groups.

We see some oddities with VPNv4 AFs too; the send-community commands
seem to not get inherited, but are automatically added to the neighbour
statements, and soft-reconfig refuses to apply, but AFAICT these are
cosmetic.

That said, we use a peer-group in one or two places where the config is
very simple and confined to one router (anycast DNS via eBGP, specifically)

I would use templates in a new deployment, and recommend against
peer-groups - Marko's email has an excellent summary of the background.