[c-nsp] DS3 over STM1

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Tue Jan 12 10:15:10 EST 2010

Hi all,

I'm in the process of moving one of our remote offices from one carrier to
another. At the moment we have an L3VPN terminating GigE at the remote
end on a 7301 and DS3 on a G1 with PA-2T3 at the head office. Link does
10Mbit about half split between voice and data.

The new carrier has provisioned a 45Mbit clear channel service with a DS3
at the remote site, and a channelised STM1 at the head office. I can't
seem to find a combination of router/card/mux to make this work.

- Cisco 7200 with PA-MC-STM1 can't channelise larger than E1.

- Cisco 7600 with SPA-1XCHSTM1/OC3 can do it according to the spec sheet
for the SPA, but is incredibly over-speced and pricey.

- Adtran Opti-3 is SONET/OC3 only (but I can't find confirmation of this).

- Juniper M7i with STM1 IQ PIC can't channelise larger than E1.

- Juniper M7i with OC3 IQ PIC can channelise DS3, but doesn't do SDH
framing for STM1.

- The carrier suggested re-engineering the service to deliver 21 E1s and
run MLPPP over them. The data sheet for the PA-MC-T3-EC indicates MLPPP is
only possible in hardware up to 12 T1s. I doubt MLPPP in software would
perform at all, let alone perform well.

I've never worked with channelised services more complicated than DS0s in
an E1, so I've got a few questions:

- Has anyone ever done this? What config/hardware did you use?

- Are there any muxes/converters/router interfaces that can do this at the
~20Mbit end of the market?

- Does the Adtran support intermixing of SONET and SDH (DS3 over STM1)?

Many thanks,

- I.