[c-nsp] Unicast flooding?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jan 13 04:18:21 EST 2010

> While the event is occurring I have verified the ARP and CAM entry.  The CAM
> entry is associated with one of the first two Ethernet interfaces, not the
> third.  I can clear the ARP and CAM entry from the CLI and they are
> re-learned with the same information, yet the traffic continues to egress
> the wrong Ethernet port.

Ugh.

> I've set the ARP timeout to 4 minutes so that it's less than the CAM table's
> default configuration of 5 minutes, but there was no improvement.  One more
> observation -- the errant port is the root of the bridge.
>
> Any ideas why the 7609 would be sending traffic out an Ethernet port to a
> device that the CAM table says is on a different Ethernet port?

What module is the traffic coming in via? Which of the modules have DFCs?

Have you looked at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00807347ab.shtml#dfc

...specifically the 1st item "Loss of Dynamic MAC Addresses with
Distributed Switching" which could possibly be related, though that is a
wild guess.

How long has this been happening for?