[c-nsp] PVLAN and trunks (for redundancy and more bandwidth), any idea?

Pavel Skovajsa pavel.skovajsa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 04:27:03 EST 2010

Hello Sven,

If I understood you correctly you can get around these limitations by
using the PVLAN feature on the end-user ports only and not on the
internal switch-to-switch links. On those links you can use normal
"trunk" ports and spread the PVLAN to your 6509 and terminate it on L3
VLAN int.

Access layer example for end-user port somewhere in the deeps of the
switched fabric:
interface FastEthernet0/1
 switchport mode private-vlan host
 switchport private-vlan host-association 10 100

Access layer trunk port:
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 switchport mode trunk

On your distribution (6509) you configure:

interface Vlan10
 ip sticky-arp ignore <--- this is important as PVLAN VLAN interface
gets sticky arp by default (for some unknown reason)
 no ip proxy-arp
 private-vlan mapping 100

and normal trunk port towards the switch fabric:
interface GigabitEthernet6/1
 switchport mode trunk

Yes this is probably suboptimal to what you would like to accoplish
however the end effect is that the end-user ports cannot communicate
with each other - which is probably what you want.

Another alternative is the "private-vlan trunk" feature which is
described over here
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sga/configuration/guide/pvlans.html#wp1166138
- the trouble is that AFAIK currently it works only on C4500.

-pavel skovajsa