[c-nsp] BGP to OSPF redistribution

Jeff Aitken jaitken at aitken.com
Thu Jan 14 08:16:00 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 04:25:04PM -0500, null zeroroute wrote:
> Very good suggestion, however the provider is not sending the internet
> routing table, only our own internal network's routes.  Or are you
> suggesting some providers make mistakes and send full internet tables to a
> private VRF customer?

What he's saying is that any time you redistribute BGP into $IGP, you are
playing with fire.  The likelihood of a mistake may be low but the cost of
a mistake is high.

One thing you'll definitely want to use is the 'redistribute maximum-prefix'
command:

    router ospf $PID
     redistribute maximum-prefix $LIMIT

This should help limit the damage if there's a redistribution "accident".

--Jeff