[c-nsp] BGP - Announcing routes to Internet providers.

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jan 19 12:44:32 EST 2010

On Thursday 07 January 2010 10:09:20 pm David Freedman
wrote:

> When you add MPLS into the mix (for internet routing, not
>  just VPN) your border router becomes an LER and as such
>  you can't take advantage of the core routers and have
>  them MPLS only LSRs at the same time. One solution may
>  be to inject your supernets from your sources (i.e
>  reflectors), perhaps with a bogus next hop (i.e with
>  enough validity to be announced but not forwarding if it
>  ever became a valid route for traffic to follow at the
>  edge)

I'm guessing this is a pretty standard deployment in most
(but perhaps not all) parts, regardless of whether MPLS is
the sole forwarding engine in the core or not.

In our case (which an IPv4 BGP-free core), all aggregates
are originated by our route reflectors, and they point to
192.0.2.1 and 2001:db8::1. All our routers are configured to
be adjacent to Null0 (IOS) or Discard (JUNOS) for those
next-hop addresses. It works!

Cheers,

Mark.