[c-nsp] ASA Failover without setting a Standby IP on an Interface

David White, Jr. (dwhitejr) dwhitejr at cisco.com
Tue Jan 19 14:51:38 EST 2010

Hi Tom,

If a standby IP is not assigned to the Outside interface, then that
interface will not be able to participate in failover monitoring.
Meaning, the two ASAs will not be able to exchange 'hellos' out that
interface (as the Active unit will not have an IP to send the hello to
on the Standby).  Thus, if connectivity is lost between the two peers -
due to something other than an ASA interface failure - then failover
will not be able to react to it.

If you are only concerned with the ASA's outside interface failing, then
this will still work (assuming the interface failure triggers the
interface to transition to a down state).  As the interface state will
be exchanged with the peer on the failover LAN link.

If you choose to configure the ASAs this way, I would also suggest you
manually disable failover monitoring on the outside interface using the
command:

   no monitor-interface outside

Sincerely,

David.