[c-nsp] on Bogons and default bgp routes

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Jan 20 08:22:10 EST 2010

Dracul wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> i have several BGP networks that only use default routes from a couple of
> ISPs. Is it necessary for us to implement bogon lists or just
> leave it up to our upstreams? Although we put the basic martian list, we
> don't have fullroutes implemented as we only use bgp for redundancy
> purposes.

Don't trust what your upstreams may or may not be doing.

If you configure your network with BOGON lists, you can block that
traffic inbound at your edge, and more importantly, rest assured that
you won't expend resources on other networks if they don't happen to filter.

Team Cymru has an easy-to-set-up BGP peering route-server to keep up to
date automatically:

http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/Bogons/routeserver.html

Steve