[c-nsp] Differences between 3750-E and 3560-E switches

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Wed Jan 20 11:17:39 EST 2010

> > I've read through the data sheets, and I also can't see any
signficant
> > differences. I was wondering if there was some hardware differences
(like
> > CAM table size, ethernet input/output buffer sizes), etc...

Is the packet buffering on the -Es significantly better than on the
non-Es? It would seem that the buffering capabilities of a non-E are at
best limited, based on my experience - granted we have bursty server
loads that we were attempting to condense down into 4-port
etherchannels, but I would have expected the 3560Gs to do better than
they did.

I suppose it's possible that if I split the ports up amongst the ASICs
better it might be better, but it seemed like there was only one TX
queue buffer for the entire switch, which if you did "mls qos" you could
split up some but you still had a limited choke that everything went
through.

I really don't want to go buy a -E to find out.

I never could get an answer from cisco as to the actual design of the
internals of the 3560/3750s. Is the information around anywhere?

(And why the heck does Cisco keep it such a secret?)

> Just think of the 3750s as baby VSS-6500s or Nexus 7Ks  :)

Now _that_ is hard to imagine. :)