[c-nsp] Differences between 3750-E and 3560-E switches

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Jan 20 12:39:01 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 07:19 -0600, scott owens wrote:
> That stacking feature IS the cool thing.  If you don't need it; skip
> it, maybe even look at the 295x or 296x platform unless you possibly
> need POE as well - the "2"s don't support it.  But the ability to
> team/etherchannel servers via LACP and use BOTH teamed links at the
> same time instead of single links due to spanning-tree blocking is a
> great thing.  It is one reason GLBP is not available on the 3750s -
> its not needed to get load balanced routing either.
>
> Just think of the 3750s as baby VSS-6500s or Nexus 7Ks  :)

IMHO the problem with StackWise is that you can't do a software upgrade
without rebooting both units. Compare this to two seperate switches and
RSTP, with which can do almost "zero touch" upgrades.

In my eyes StackWise stacks are in all aspects to be treated as a single
unit. When looking at "single points of failure" I consider a 3750 stack
(E or non-E) a single unit no matter how many members in the stack.

The VSS might have the same problem, haven't touched it.

--
Peter