[c-nsp] Limits on dynamically learned MAC addresses per vlan

Steven Pfister SPfister at dps.k12.oh.us
Tue Jan 26 11:34:35 EST 2010

I'm trying to troubleshoot connectivity problems between a virtual server at a central site and PCs in the same vlan at a remote site. At the central site is several VMWare servers connected to a 3560 switch. The PCs at the remote site need to reach this virtual server, and while most do, some have trouble seeing it.

A common thread seems to be whether the 3560 has been able to learn the MAC address of the PC. If it hasn't, we can put in a static address and everything is OK.

I'm wondering... is there a limit to the number of dynamic MAC addresses that a switch like the 3560 can learn? If so, can that limit be changed, and is the situation the same for static addresses?

Also, is the limit of total MAC addresses for the switch fixed, or can that be changed?

Thanks!

Steve Pfister
Technical Coordinator,
The Office of Information Technology