[c-nsp] best ios version for VSS

Holemans Wim wim.holemans at ua.ac.be
Wed Jan 27 09:01:45 EST 2010

We have a VSS running, L2 only for the moment. We plan to enable L3
(static routing only for the moment) next week (along with a FWSM board
in each chassis).

We are running version s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI1.bin for
the moment (I know this version has too much features for what we need
for the moment)

The problems we had with this version until now :

-          One of the supervisors rebooted spontaneously leaving no
traces on why it restarted

-          ISSU (I don't remember what the version was we started the
upgrade) didn't work, so I had to boot both chassis manually, giving a
much higher downtime than expected

-          The activation of the first FWSM (inserted with power down
for that specific module, followed by power up of the module), caused a
crash and reboot of the supervisor of the chassis in with the FWSM was
inserted.

So anyone has comments on to which version we eventually should upgrade
to before going to L3 ? (downtime will have a much larger impact from
that moment on).

I found on the cisco website there is a version 12.2.33-SXH6(ED) and a
version 12.2.33-SXI3(ED) available.

Greetings,

Wim Holemans

Network Services