[c-nsp] [SUMMARY]: 4900M vs. 4503 for core

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jan 28 20:34:21 EST 2010

On Friday 29 January 2010 05:33:40 am Jason Gurtz wrote:

> Unfortunately, I left out that that most of the gig
>  uplink connections are fiber so a 3560G doesn't have
>  enough SFP ports.  I did find the WS-C3750G-12S-E which
>  looks like the good low-cost option.  On the minuses
>  side, it's a softswitch, and no 10G uplinks for linking
>  in the server access switches.  The main downside here
>  is advocating for their replacement and purchasing
>  strategies around here.  eBay, used equip., etc... are
>  pretty much verboten.  Basically, if we buy these now,
>  they'll be here in 5 years and forklifting the network
>  core could be painful.

We've been down this road before when searching for a 1U
Ethernet switch that provides decent fibre-only port
density.

On the Cisco end, the 4928 is a little on the pricey side,
and not very fetching if Layer 3 applications are needed,
i.e., IPv6 is done in software, eek!

For these requirements, we keep coming back to Juniper's
EX4200-24F, which is a 24-port fibre-only switch, with 4x
1Gbps or 2x 10Gbps uplinks.

Brocade's NetIron CES/CER 2000 platforms are probably also
worth considering, as they can scale to 24- and 48-port
fibre-only densities. But they are fairly advanced,
supporting a vast array of IP/MPLS features, so unless they
have interesting licensing strategies, that proposition
could be pricey.

Cheers,

Mark.