[c-nsp] IPV6 again

Michael Robson Michael.Robson at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jan 29 11:33:20 EST 2010

OK so looking at/listening to various recommendations, when allocating IPV6 addresses, stateless auto-configuration with DHCPv6 used to dish out the DNS servers and domain looks the most appealing. Since the IOS version we are using on our 6500s doesn't support IPV6 DHCP relaying (12.2(18)SXF13) I tried to set up a test using the 6500 itself to serve the DNS and domain information but I cannot get it to work. When I use the following configuration the clients are configured with appropriate v6 IPs and can get out into the IPV6 Internet, but no DNS or domain information is received. Turning on "debug ipv6 DHCP" yields no entries in the log at all for either an iMac or an XP laptop: am I missing some configuration?

interface Vlan798
 ipv6 address X/64
 ipv6 enable
 ipv6 nd other-config-flag