[c-nsp] Network Management solution for Large Cisco deployement

chris at lavin-llc.com chris at lavin-llc.com
Fri Jan 29 14:44:27 EST 2010

> Hi all,
>
> We are moving forward at a very high pace at the moment. We currently
> maintain a multi-vendor environment with approx. 9000 switches, routers
> and firewalls.
> Over the next few years that number is expected to grow by another
> 3000-5000 devices.
>
> We have multiple NMS systems running today, but as we regionalizes we
> want to keep track of everything in one preferely NMS.
> CiscoWorks LMS has a limit of 10.000 devices (and it's only for Cisco
> ofc.) so i'm not sure this is the right solution for us.
> New devices deployed will be Cisco only.
>
> What are my alternatives in terms of large scale management and
> deployment (Up to 50.000+ devices) ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> // Ulrich

If you aren't looking for an Open solution:

Having worked with HP Openview, IBM Tivoli (ITNM), CA Spectrum and EMC
SMARTS; I highly recommend SMARTS.

During our bake-offs and side-by-side live trials SMARTS consistently
showed a real ability to provide root cause analysis for fault management.
In one shop we had an architecture of SMARTS servers that supported over
20,000 network devices. And being able to interact with and program into a
common information database, we were able to tweak for all of our
additional requirements.

The one common trap enterprises fall into is the idea that one tool can
provide all the fault management and performance management for each piece
of the infrastructure (network, servers, storage). Regardless of vendor
hype, there isn't one tool to rule them all.

Regardless of what you choose, expect to have trained staff to make
adjustments as needed. A robust NMS system should be considered part of
the network eco system and as such also needs a percentage of the care and
feeding that you apply to your routing and switching environments.

-chris