[c-nsp] smaller PI

Matthias Müller cnsp at matthias-mueller.net
Thu Jul 1 14:38:39 EDT 2010

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 20:19:07 +0200
Łukasz Bromirski <lukasz at bromirski.net> wrote:

> > I do not expect this hardware to handle 524k prefixes.
>
> Why? First of all, if You're not handling IP multicasts and IPv6 that
> much, repartition when the 330k IPv4 becomes 500k IPv4.

Excluding IPv6 routes is a really bad idea while talking about accepting prefixes beyond /24. Getting smaller subnets for PI is a direct result of IPv4 space exhausting, so telling someone to forget about IPv6 routes and simply shift all space for IPv4 routing is imho a bad advice.

> > Expect routing table to be even more fragmented in the future and
>  > believe it is better to leve room for growth in /8-/24, dropping /25 ->
>
> Filtring on minimal RIR allocations is fine, but again, with this
> hardware, you're yet to reach its limits.

I'd expect a lot of providers to drop routes with /25 or even /24 even more in the future after IPv6 is a must have and not a nice to have, because they'll adjust fib space to include more IPv6 routes without upgrading the existing hardware.

Matthias