[c-nsp] MPLS vs CEF

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Fri Jul 2 17:58:59 EDT 2010

 Your correct for traffic switched by the PFC3x it is 30Mpps for IPv4,
and 20Mpps for MPLS. The reason MPLS is lower is for load balancing, you
go and look at the underlying packet to see if it is IPv4 and use the
src+dst IP address to compute the hash for the next hop, which results
it looking deeper in the packet. To be precise

PFC3x
IP to Label 30Mpps (push up to 3 labels)
Label to Label 20Mpps
Label to IP 20Mpps (pop 1 label)

DFC3x
IP to Label 48Mpps (push up to3 labels)
Label to Label 48Mpps
Label to IP 48Mpps (pop 1 label)

DFC3x has wider path to do the lookup compared to PFC3x so the
performance impact is not present.

Ian