[c-nsp] Specification of RA that responds to RS (applied?RA?suppress I/F)

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Sat Jul 3 09:53:56 EDT 2010

Alexander Clouter <alex at digriz.org.uk> wrote:

>> PPPS: 12.4T says it supports a global address for the HSRP ip ?  I only
>> have the option of autoconfig or link-local on my 6500.  Is this something
>> coming for Catalyst ?
>>
> I personally cannot think of a single reason why anyone would want to
> configure a router gateway address with anything other than link-local.
> As far as I am aware there are no advantages in using global address
> although I am happy to be proved wrong and learn something new.

Okay, I have read Cisco's reasoning[1], although I cannot still see why
it's necessary, but I'm not in the ISP/CPE business so my brain is not
currently wired for that sort of thinking...I would have expected IGP on
the next-hop to the customer router to have advertised the route.

/me shrugs

Obviously someone with a pile of cash asked for it with good reason
and Cisco obliged. :)

Cheers

[1] http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-fhrp.html#wp1062511

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Natural laws have no pity.