[c-nsp] ARP Issue while changing the IP Via DHCP

Bunny Singh jump2fly82 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 4 10:35:59 EDT 2010

HI,

I am facing some issue with the ARP on my 7604 Router, Following are the details:--

I am having my DHCP server on the network, and my 7604 router is acting as a relay agent. So all clients is getting the IP from the DHCP server without any problem. In this case my router is creating the ARP entry against the IP and the MAC.

Some times i got the request from the customers to fixed the static ip address against their MAC on the DHCP (Linux based)  server which previously was getting the IP from the dynamic scope from the DHCP.

Whenever i put the reservation on the DHCP server for the static address following are the issues i am facing

1. Sometimes client's not getting the IP untill unless i cleared the ARP cache.
2. Sometimes Client's got the IP but facing video streaming issue for 5 min. When i create the reservation for the previously assigned ip (which was on Router arp) then the video works fine.

I just want to know, Is this is accepted bahaviour on the ROUTER?

Regards
Daljit Singh