[c-nsp] 7204XVR Edge Router Issues

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Mon Jul 5 08:46:35 EDT 2010

Chris Gotstein wrote:
> We are a small ISP, using a 7204VXR as our gateway router to our 2
> upstream providers.  We have a full DS3 coming from one provider and a
> 75Mbs fiber connection from another provider.  We having issues with
> lagging when trying to run speedtests and other diagnostic tools. Before
> i start blaming the upstreams, i'd like to have a second pair of eyes
> take a look at my config on the 7204 router to make sure i'm not doing
> something wrong.  If you can spare a few minutes, please hit my offlist
> and i'll shoot you over a copy of the config and simple diagram of our
> core network.  Thanks.

Some questions:

1. Do you see any packet loss? at any times?

2. Do you have any drops or errors on either of the interfaces?

Can you paste the output of :

show int <x> | in rror|drop|throt

for both your upstream and your core facing interfaces?

3. Do you also keep track of your CPU usage? do you get spikes in this
at particular times during the day which correspond to lagging?

4. What NPE are you using? and what IOS are you running?

5. Do you have any features like netflow/pbr/acls configured?

Dave.

--

David Freedman
Group Network Engineering