[c-nsp] remote 7600 ISSU

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 21:51:09 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I am contemplating upgrading a 7600 with redundant SUP720-3B's from 12.2(33)SRD1 to SRD4 using ISSU (which is something I haven't played with before).

I've read the doco and it seems reasonably straightforward.

The question I have is can I run the upgrade remotely on a VTY session without any problems ?

The router does NOT have dedicated out of band management at this point, so my plan was that I would set the commit timer to something reasonable like 5-10 minutes (ISSU should only take seconds according to documentation) so that if my connection drops out and doesn't come back when I switch to the new IOS version it will fall back to the old version when I can't/don't commit the new one.

My connection will be via a "plain" 65xx line card, so I doubt that it will have any issues with the newer IOS.

If it all goes totally pear shaped then I can get someone to the site in about 30-40 minutes to sort out the mess.

Just out of interest I am upgrading due to bug CSCsx03291.
Any general experience/advice on ISSU also appreciated :)

Thanks,
Tony.