[c-nsp] New CPE advice

Steve Bertrand steve at ipv6canada.com
Wed Jul 14 20:27:14 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I've got a client that has ~15 sites on the fibre side of my network.
Most of these sites have redundant links via SDSL. All of the sites
(even the single-homed ones) do BGP to me (private AS, I announce
default and a small subset of specifics).

Most of the sites are small, and I usually use eol hardware that has
been recycled. The client now needs a new site built (literally, the
building is under construction), but this time, they want brand new
hardware at their edge.

I'm hoping to recommend to them something valued at < $4.5k. The way the
sites are set up, I'd prefer a decent L3 switch, so that I can use it as
a router and an aggregation all-in-one, but a router that can handle a
couple of wics with 9-12 switchports would also be ok (I've looked at
the 2951).

This site setup is basic. It will tie to an existing client site
directly via fibre, and both of these sites will connect to me via fibre
and SDSL. The new site will have 20-50 desktops, a few servers, and up
to 150 wifi clients at a time.

Must have:

- IPv6
- BGP for v4 (not full table) and v6 (full table)
- OSPF & OSPFv3
- brand new, with default support
- option to put under a support contract
- at least two built-in gi ints, if not four. If not, the ability to
scale to at least four
- ability to house wics for 9 - 12 switchports

Nice to have:

- vrf (I've never used it before, but I can see now that I will be)
- 2u max
- ability to use 3rd party 'ics
- 10g (yeah, right ;)

I'll have more sites like this that I'll need consistent hardware for,
which is why I asked here first, instead of contacting any sales dept.

fwiw, My client may be open to the `other' vendor gear as well.

Sales pitches are welcome, but *only* off-list, and *only* if you have
extensive operational experience with the recommended gear personally.

Thanks,

Steve