[c-nsp] Hughes v iDirect

Terry Rupeni (ITS-USP) rupeni_t at usp.ac.fj
Thu Jul 15 16:17:37 EDT 2010

Hi Felix,

I can't speak for Hughes as I've never had the experience of wuking with
the gear but we are currently evaluating iDirect for our Distance
Learning Network(USPNET) of which a heavy component is VOIP, Video
Conferencing, Video Multicast streaming. Our setup is a typical
hub/spoke topology covering 12 Pacific Countries. Now Compare to our
current satellite platform we use, I really like iDirect for two reasons:

1.) QOS provisioning mechanisms (Simple Methodology and configuration,
don't have to worry about Satellite TimeSlots correlation etc)
2.) iDirect Monitoring/System Visibility  (Gives us real time info of
what is happening at the IP layer plus its correation to RF)

There are many more reasons i can name but these two I see as a trump
card compared to other systems I've worked on.

Terry