[c-nsp] A few very Quick IP SLA questions

Shimol Shah shimshah at cisco.com
Fri Jul 16 12:03:11 EDT 2010

Inline

On 7/16/10 11:14 AM, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Hi all, happy Friday.
>
> A few questions regarding configuring IP SLA.
>
> I've configured two IP SLA probes as such:
>
> ip sla 1
>   icmp-echo x.x.25.97 source-ip x.x.25.98
>   frequency 10
> ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now
>
> ip sla 2
>   icmp-echo x.x.25.101 source-ip x.x.25.102
>   frequency 10
> ip sla schedule 2 life forever start-time now
>
> 1) If I want this probe to run forever, is it best to configure it as a recurring probe or have the lifetime be 'forever'?

I would do "forever"

>2) If the router has multiple paths to the destination does specifying
the source-address mean that 100% of the time it will use the Interface
that the indicated source address is assigned to?

No .. should be load-balanced.

Not related but beware of

CSCtf11508    IP SLA should not send probes when source-interface has no
ip address

> 3) When using the 'track command' (for example: track 100 ip sla 1 reachability | state) What is the functional difference between reachability and state? Wouldn't they be the same thing?

Take a look at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/command/reference/iap_t1.html#wp1148364

> Also the main reason for implementing this is because we had an instance where a interface didn't go down, but no traffic would pass through it (routing protocols failed, etc) and we have our default routes setup as such:
>
> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Vlan4091 x.x.25.97
> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Vlan4092 x.x.25.101
>
> So return traffic was still being sent down the 'dead but up/up' interface which caused obvious heartache.
>
> Would using a track on each of these routes (combined with aforementioned IP SLA probes) be a good way to prevent this from occurring in the future?

Yes.

Shimol