[c-nsp] routing between VRF and global

Kenny Sallee kenny.sallee at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 12:22:02 EDT 2010

I solved this problem (leaking routes from VRF to global route table) by
creating a 'VRF' that is the 'global' route table.  The cisco solution is
like you mentioned (GRE, Cable loopage, or static routes - none that I
liked).  So it physically looks like this:  MPLS WAN Frame DS3 w/ many PVCs
(for each different customer) -->Cisco ASR w/ VRF's per PVC --> Routes
imported to a VRF called 'global-vrf' --> cabled to a 6500 with global
routes.  I run BGP MP-BGP and peer with our core over the 'global-vrf' so I
can dynamically advertise all my customer routes to our core.  So - the ASR
runs MP-BGP (no label switching) and I route-target import/export between
VRF's with import-maps to control stuff.  I don't have NAT requirements so I
don't have to worry about that.  NAT and WCCP are other features that are
lacking depending on the version of code on whatever platform...