[c-nsp] using the first and last ip address of a range > /24 in a local pool

David DeSimone fox at verio.net
Mon Jul 19 19:15:49 EDT 2010

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou <achatz at forthnet.gr> wrote:

> We're thinking of using the following as a dsl pool:
>
> ip local pool test-pool 192.168.0.0 192.168.255.255
>
> which means 192.168.x.0 and 192.168.x.255 will be given as ip
> addresses to hosts (CPEs and PCs).
>
> Has anyone met any issues with .0 and .255 as host addresses?

There is a longstanding bug in Windows TCP/IP stack which prevents it
from communicating properly with hosts whose final octet is .0 or .255.

The bug was fixed in Vista, but there are a lot of old Windows XP
clients out there.

If you are using these IP's only for internal communications then I
don't see a problem, but if you expect Windows clients elsewhere on the
network to be able to talk to these IP's, you will run into problems.

David DeSimone == Network Admin == fox at verio.net
  "I don't like spinach, and I'm glad I don't, because if I
   liked it I'd eat it, and I just hate it." -- Clarence Darrow

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has been sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Verio, Inc. makes no warranty that this email is error or virus free.  Thank you.