[c-nsp] Mysterious GRE tunnel flap

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 21:24:05 EDT 2010

I would take a box you can log outputs on (like a linux host).

>From site A set up a script that every 5 seconds prints the time then pings
(say 10 packets):
the local LAN interface, the local WAN interface, local the GRE IP, the
remote WAN interface, remote LAN interface, remote GRE IP and if possible a
host on the far side.

Set up the same thing from side B.

See if there are any drops anywhere along the path.

I've seen issues like this where the carrier refreshes the IP but the lease
always stays the same, or a batch job runs and congests the interface or
anything else that would run on that kind of timer.

Do you see any drops or anything on the physical interfaces from either
side?

Good luck, these kinds of problems can be hard to nail down.

-Pete