[c-nsp] pop site battery backup recommendations

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Fri Jul 23 02:51:18 EDT 2010

>Yes, you would be much better served by an online UPS, which would be
>anything in the Smart-UPS RT series if you want to stick with APC.
Below
>that it's just line interactive. An online UPS also has a bypass in
>them, so in theory any faults should cause the unit to switch to bypass
>and send an alarm rather than dumping the load. I'll stress the "in
>theory" part because it's still a relay in the RT series, not a static
>bypass, and the UPS can't monitor the health of a relay. Units with a
>static bypass can monitor the health of the SCR that makes up the
bypass.

Some have dual ingress as well one for the "active" line and one for the
"bypass" line.
If they do put in two seperate lines with two seperate circuit breakers.
That way a fault in the UPS will trip only the breaker on the active
line and if everything
works correctly :), your UPS will bypass on to the standby line.

Brian