[c-nsp] Can loop, can't send patterns

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri Jul 23 19:26:18 EDT 2010

james edwards wrote:
> I have an ATM T-1 which is experiencing traffic slowdowns even though we are
> nowhere near commit. Even on 5 sec intervals. Router is a 2620. The LEC
> (Qwest) says they loop the NIU and send patterns w/o errors. They can loop
> my CSU but they can't send patterns.
> I can find anything like this in a google search. What does this suggest ?
>
> Thanks,

Well for starters, smokeping and mrtg are your friends. You are graphing
this line, yes? You want to see that yes, mrtg confirms you are not
maxing anything out, and that smokeping is all green (no packetloss) and
that your latency is stable. I bet one or more of these variables goes
out of whack during your problem period, and which one will tell you
where to look next.

... once upon a time my qwest DS3 would show 1000ms latencies at only
14mbps used. Much lost sleep and wasted effort later I discover qwest
had been piping my ds3 thru some mpls that was getting overloaded, while
still charging me for ds3..... but in your case you're going to need
those statistics first before you do anything here.

Mike-