[c-nsp] IPv6: HSRP vs Anycast

Sascha Pollok nsp-list at pollok.net
Tue Jul 27 04:15:01 EDT 2010

Hello Billy,

> Is anyone using IPv6 Anycast in replace of HSRP?
>
> Would there not by issues with Duplicate IP addresses? I can not seem to
> find any relevant documentation
> that discusses the use of IPv6 Anycast to replace a FHRP such as HSRP or
> VRRP. What are other SP's
> using as a FHRP or are/have you used/tested IPv6 Anycast in the environment.

We do. As HSRPv6 was not available when we started v6 deployment with
redundant routers. Afaik the "anycast" keyword on an interface (e.g.
an SVI on 6500) simply disables duplicate address notifications.
It is then up to the hosts/servers to decide which router to choose
from those who are advertising the v6 gateway using anycast. Thats
all. However, it is by far not that fast as HSRP but its still
usable.

-Sascha