[c-nsp] Juniper M320 vs. 7600/SUP320-3BXL and WS-X6148A-GE-TX

Chris Hale chale99 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 13:40:04 EDT 2010

Hello,

Looking for options to our next upgrade from our 7200VXR platform.
Someone suggested 7600 and the WS-X6148A-GE-TX cards with a
SUP720-3BXL.  We're doing BGP (4-5 full iBGP peers, 13 external peers
(3 upstream, 10 downstream), all full routes), dot1q trunks, EoMPLS
with L2VPNs.  We will most likely do dot1q trunks to our agg switches
at our other POPs with MPLS and L2VPNs being started/terminated on
dot1q trunks. We're also looking to roll out IPv6 services in the next
few months.

Our options we're looking at are a Juniper M320 w/RE-1600 and SFP PIC
(PB-4GE-SFP).

I don't necessarily need the port density of the 48-port Cisco card,
but it's always nice to have.  Any reason not to start with the 6148A
card and upgrade to the OSM cards, etc.,

I'm open to suggestions, opinions, etc, and especially any gotchas
with either platform.

Thanks,
Chris