[c-nsp] SXI3 strange issue, Loose mode uRPF jumps to strict by itself

Samuel Leung leung at yorku.ca
Thu Jul 29 15:52:22 EDT 2010

>>A couple of minutes before the problems started an engineer had
>>configured a customer facing interface with strict mode uRPF.

This could be the issue. I believe once you changed one interface to
strict mode, all other interfaces
will be changed to strict mode. In other words, it behaves like a global
command.

Regards,
Leung

From:   bas <kilobit at gmail.com>
To:     Cisco <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
Date:   07/29/2010 03:24 PM
Subject:        [c-nsp] SXI3 strange issue,     Loose mode uRPF jumps to
strict by itself
Sent by:        cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net

Hi All,

Yesterday we had a strange issue.
Our monitoring tool alerted that one of our boxes (SUP720-3BXL - 6506
running SXI3) became unreachable.

When we logged in everything looked ok.
BGP was up, OSPF was up and nothing special in logging.
Still traffic had dropped to near zero.

With "debug ip cef drop" we immediately saw that traffic was dropped
due to uRPF feature.
All upstream interfaces had strict mode uRPF configured, before the
problems started it was loose mode uRPF.

After manually changing them back too loose mode traffic was restored.

A couple of minutes before the problems started an engineer had
configured a customer facing interface with strict mode uRPF.
Apparently this configuration changed triggered a bug that caused
upstream interface loose mode to be automagically turned to strict
mode.

So, hereby a heads up. If your SXI3 boxes show strange behavior,
quickly check uRPF.

Cya,

Bas