[c-nsp] GigE Throughput on 3825

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Thu Jul 29 18:07:46 EDT 2010

We have several in production but have never pushed them to their limits.
One that comes to mind is a 3825 with max memory/max flash - it's going DHCP
services to 1200 students in a university residence, handing off a few meg
of voice traffic to those students and running two full BGP tables providing
IP Transit at 100 meg peak to the university as well. Nothing really fancy
but the CPU never peaks above 9% on average.

Another 3825 is currently running as a POP router handling about 130Mb/s of
peak traffic, runs a good size OSPF table and has 16 port Gig card fully
populated with each port doing routing.  Peak CPU is 11% average on that
box.

I have seen some customers push them with 300-400Mb/s of traffic but am not
sure how they really handled at that point - whether or not the CPU is
pushing it or not.  Cisco 7206VXR with NPE-2G comes to mind if you don't
want any hassles with higher traffic levels - of course you're into higher
budget too ;)

Paul