[c-nsp] Netflow on Cisco ?

Christopher Gatlin gatlin007 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 14:09:46 EDT 2010

Stephane,

I've used netflow on 1800 series routers and never noticed it consume
significant CPU or memory resources.  The flow exports the router will send
to the netflow collector are small and you shouldn't notice an increase in
site bandwidth consumption.

The value of netflow statistics are immense and well worth the small impact
they have on system resources.  A virus probing for other hosts will stand
out like a sore thumb using the 'show ip cache flow' command on the console
or running a report from your netflow collector.  Or perhaps the traveling
salesman at the site pulling a 2GB PST file over a 256K frame circuit.  Keep
in mind the port numbers are in hexadecimal if using the command line.

Chris
http:/travelingtech.net