[c-nsp] ipv6 on a sup32?

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Mon Jun 7 15:15:40 EDT 2010

Re Christian,

cmacnevin at silverspringnet.com (Christian MacNevin) wrote:

> I'm considering whether it's worth going from a 3750 configuration as a low-end site core router to a
> 6504/sup32 config. The key here really being that I want better exposure to ipv6 routing and features
> should we need them.
>
> Is this realistic? Anybody done it or have any caveats?

Sticking to the price range (somehow...I know there are good deals
on SUP32s), I'd go for an ASR.

Apart from that, if you only want the exposure but don't need all
the prefixes in your forwarding box, why not couple the 3750 to
a capable BGP router, like a 7301 (aka NPE-G1-in-a-RU) or even
a 7401 like I'm doing in my private network. Or use some nice
little appliance with some open source route software (Quagga,
OpenBGPd...).

If you need all the prefixes for your fowarding decision, you
will certainly want to go with a big hardware-forwarding router
like the ASR - which works nicely on v6.

Elmar.