[c-nsp] IPv4/v6 Route Reflectors - Which router to choose?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Jun 12 05:55:52 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 02:11:17PM +0200, Jonathan Hart wrote:
> I noticed that Cisco had put ASR1002 on the candidate list for BGP RR
> (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9343/index.html). While the
> ASRs are powerful and mighty, they seem to be somewhat over the top
> for the job. It also seems like the 7200/7300, even the 7600 platform
> is normal to find as RRs too.

I wouldn't use a 7600 as RR.  The CPU is slow, and the powerful hardware
forwarding engine is not needed here.

The 7301 or 7201 (=7200 + NPE-G1 or NPE-G2) would make a good RR - the
CPU is (for a Cisco router) fairly fast, the IOS is mature (don't use
anything with letters on it), and they can take enough RAM for large
BGP tables.

> How would the upper end for the ISR G2 routers perform as IPvXrrs? The
> 3925s, 3945s, etc.

No idea, but last time I checked, the 39xx were more expensive than a
7301...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de