[c-nsp] IPv4/v6 Route Reflectors - Which router to choose?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jun 15 05:52:47 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 15 June 2010 12:28:56 pm McDonald Richards wrote:

> The 1002-F has the RP1 PPC based CPU - for the speed you
>  really really want the RP2 based x86 64 bit CPUs. They
>  are FAST. Route reflectors are such a critical network
>  function that this is not a place I'd be looking to save
>  money in a large network deployment.

I once knew of a network that deployed Juniper M120 routers
as route reflectors, simply because they were the platforms
shipping with 4GB DRAM at the time.

My point is, if that's what the vendors are giving us, and
we don't want to have general-purpose servers running Quagga
doing our route reflection, that's what we'll get.

Personally, I wish the 7201 could be allowed to support 4GB
DRAM (wait, maybe it does, haven't tested really), since it
works very well for us without breaking a sweat. But as it
were, the ASR1002-F is, indeed, cheaper than a 7201
(haggling with your favorite account manager
notwithstanding).

That said, I do agree the that the RP2 is a much better
platform. But Cisco should have given us the option of
having it in the ASR1002 (-F or otherwise).

Cheers,

Mark.