[c-nsp] Alert: Correction

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Jun 18 19:19:40 EDT 2010

On 6/18/10 2:43 PM, Nate Carlson wrote:

> I do wonder if it's a competitor who is being very smart about trying to
> *dis*courage people from going with Blue Cat.

Possible but seems unlikely.  Any competitor going to that extent
wouldn't post it under such an obviously fraudulent address.

> any vendor that will
> actually whine at you for writing truthful posts about their gear isn't
> going to get my business.

Times ten for any vendor who would actually whine at someone's boss for
writing truthful posts about their gear.

Directing an inquiry to the real CIO/VP asking "Did you really do this?"
and "If so, why the ridiculous pseudonym?" could possibly get Jason into
even more trouble than he may be in now.

It could also be someone with a personal grudge against Jason or trying
to pull a prank on him.

If indeed the University of Toledo is under pressure from a Bluecat
landshark to issue a retraction, one would think that they would do one
of the following:

1:  Post a link to a retraction on their website thus proving that it is
real.

2:  Post the retraction from a real University of Toledo address.

3:  Ask Jason to post the retraction.

The bogus address really puts it over the top.  I probably wouldn't have
remembered the name "Bluecat" from a single thread so long ago but I
will now.  If it was a competitor, it worked.

On the other hand, if Bluecat is that sleazy, and the real CIO/VP is
really smart then he did exactly what they asked, fully knowing the
outcome.  He and Jason are together in a bar having drinks and laughing
about Bluecat right now.  One can always hope.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net