[c-nsp] 3750X?

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Wed Jun 23 04:36:24 EDT 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 18:16:15 +0300, Adrian Minta wrote
> > Please don't tell me there wasn't enough space for XFP cages, which would have
> > given us full choice between LR/ER/ZR/DWDM optics. Pushing SFP+ into this
> > market is complete ignorance of SP needs.
> >

> Googling for SFP+ ZR (80Km) reveal more and more results. Perhaps some
> of them are real, perhaps C knows something here.

See e.g.    http://seclists.org/nanog/2010/May/208

Well, maybe someone starts mass-production of DWDM SFP+ two years from now. But
still, what's the point of switching service provider equipment to a form
factor, which was tagetted at ultra high-density short-reach datacenter
environments?

We know that all SONET/SDH and DWDM gear must stay with XFP due to techical
limitations of SFP+. ZR/DWDM modules are not cheap, and it's a big difference
whether you need to keep spares just for the XFP form factor, or in the worst
case for all of XENPAK, X2, XFP and now SFP+.

BTW, we had this discussion 3 months ago:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/127408

Bottom line: for all our purchases, SFP+ is going to be a show stopper.

   M.