[c-nsp] MPLS best practices question

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jun 23 11:37:26 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 10:27:24 pm Oliver Boehmer
(oboehmer) wrote:

> Hmm, IGP/LDP sync addresses a different issue than
>  GR/NSF? I would consider either "IGP/LDP sync" or "LDP
>  session protection" (either one or both) to be best
>  practices.. I personally find LDP session protection
>  more straight-forward to address the link-up blackhole
>  issue than IGP/LDP sync..

I probably should have added more meat :-):

Our point of view is in the case where there has been LDP
failure due to IGP failure (which has resulted from one or
more problems, e.g., link failure, node failure, software
crash, hardware failure, e.t.c.). For us, this is a more
common scenario than a typical case where LDP-IGP
Synchronization would be useful, e.g.:

	- Failure of LDP Hello exchanges yet the IGP is alive and
	  well.

	- Formation of a new IGP link that has converged re: the
	  IGP, but is still building FEC's re: LDP.

After studying our network performance over a 12-month
period across the variety of platforms we have, we concluded
that the above 2 scenarios were sufficiently rare that
IGP/LDP Synchronization didn't make sense for us (still
doesn't, but we keep reviewing the network's performance).

We considered LDP Session Protection, but at the time, it
seemed to incur quite a bit of overhead as the number of
FEC's scaled up. However, we did see some use-cases where
its application would be quite handy, particularly if we
constrained the protection scheme to certain "important"
nodes. Suffice it to say, we still haven't had a reason to
implement it.

Cheers,

Mark.