[c-nsp] SNMP descrepancy

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed Jun 23 14:34:21 EDT 2010

The actual machine for:

Internet  10.1.164.42        146   0030.48bf.3230  ARPA   Vlan643

Was down at the time (like completely down...) and I wouldn't have expected to even see this in the sh ip arp vlan 643 output at all, but since it did show up in there I am wondering why it didn't show up in the mac-address-table and more importantly is there a way to query the 'arp table' for just vlan 643 via SNMP that anyone is aware of? I also noticed this same thing occurs sometimes when Windows firewall is enabled on Windows 2008 machines. I have to disable the firewall and ping the machine before it will show up in those SNMP .1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1.1 even though the host is actually up and running.

Very puzzled.

thanks,
-Drew