[c-nsp] Etherchannel load balancing

Billy Guthrie bg at billyguthrie.com
Thu Jun 24 09:16:49 EDT 2010

When you configure an etherchannel bundle, the frames are distributed
across the individual bundled links deterministically; however, the load
is not balanced equally across all the links. You may or may not know,
but the frames are forwarded on a specific link due to the hashing
algorithm that is used. The algorithm can use destination IP address,
source IP address, or a combination of both source and destination IP
addresses, source and destination MAC addresses, or TCP and UDP port
numbers. The hashing algorithm computes a binary pattern that selects a
link number in a bundle to carry each frame.

Document may or may not help:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtm

Good Luck
Billy