[c-nsp] FWSM and IPv6

Benjamin Lovell belovell at cisco.com
Thu Jun 24 12:09:36 EDT 2010

Did a quick search and found that IPv6 packet are still processed by
the CPU not the ASICs on the FWSM. Also only works in routed, not
transparent mode. I don't know any hard numbers for forwarding
performance for the CPU but I would guess it's unacceptably low.

As for software versus architecture limitation, it's tough to say. I
would guess architectural limitation but either way I doubt it will
change as FWSM is near the end of it's life cycle for new feature
development.

-Ben