[c-nsp] MST & Reserved VLANs on Nexus 5010

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Sun Jun 27 12:55:19 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:04:56AM -0400, Gary T. Giesen wrote:
> NX-OS definitely prevents you from mapping them to *any* instance.
> I'll open a TAC case with Cisco tomorrow and see if I get anywhere.

That brings the list of vendors that have correctly implemented MSTP
to zero, as far as I'm aware.  Any VLAN ID, regardless of it's status
on the switch or internal status, must be able to be mapped to an
instance.  Especially since that entails nothing beyond setting a bit
in a data structure that gets hashed...

The good news is that they should be convinced fairly easily - tell
them to look at IOS, it correctly permits any dot1Q ID to be mapped.
I had to argue with HP for three years before they removed the
requirement that the VLAN exist.  They had lost our business by then.

Ross

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie