[c-nsp] MACFLAP Message

Paul Cosgrove paul.cosgrove.nsp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 14:44:57 EDT 2010

The switches learn the source mac address of incoming frames, and record the
interface and vlan on which they are received.  A switch will associate only
one interface per vlan with a particular mac address, and will use that
information to deliver any frames destined for that mac (e.g. return
traffic).  If the switch later receives a frame with the same source mac
address on a different interface in the vlan, then the switch believes that
the topology connecting the host has changed and overwrites its entry with
the new interface information.  If repeated changes are occurring quickly,
then the switch kindly informs you that the address is flapping so you can
correct the problem.

To avoid mac entry flapping on the switch you should have only one interface
(physical or logical) receive frames with a given source mac address.

For failover you may have another device use the same mac if your first
server fails, but you should not have two devices sending using the same mac
at the same time in the same vlan.  Similarly a server which uses a single
mac address for multiple interfaces in the same vlan (i.e. etherchannel)
should not use those interfaces to connect to switch ports which are not in
the same port channel.

You can connect a server etherchannel to different switches only if the
switches are in a stack and the switch ports in the same port channel within
that stack.

Paul

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Bill Blackford <BBlackford at nwresd.k12.or.us