[c-nsp] EIGRP RTO issue over 3750 stack (with workaround included)

LM asturluismi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 05:16:20 EDT 2010

Hi all,

We are facing here a very strange issue.

We have 4 routers connected to a 3750 stack doing pure L2 stuff.
All 4 routers are talking EIGRP over a VRF-lite environment.
Sometimes, suddenly, without reason -no strange logs, no strange traffic
behaviour as far as we were checking- the EIGRP starts to failed, no
adjacencies between some routers.
During the diagnostic we discovered that "sh ip eigrp vrf XXX neigh"
shows a RTO like 5000 for the node that is down. Strange also if you
consider that any size of ping between nodes were ok, no packet loss, as
well very very low latency as expected in our environment

We were doing some diagnostic and there was no reason for that.

The solution was very strange also.
shut and not shut in the vlan inside the switch makes the "sh ip eigrp
vrf XXX neigh" to show 200ms as RTO for all nodes, so the problem is in
the stack.

We also had some other problems with HSRP and we think it is related
with the same issue.

So, any comments? any advice? any experience with this problem too?