[c-nsp] Centos upload speed slower on 1000m than 100m over WANlinks

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Mon Jun 28 12:12:29 EDT 2010

Paul,

The bursts are sub-second, and you would not see them on the transfer
rate over time or using 30-seconds average counters on the switches (you
would see them with a sniffer...)

I suggest you test this in a structured way, so that we know where the
problem is coming from, and then we know which part of the solution to
fix.

In order to test, you should repeat the download test with 100M and 1G
settings at each of the following locations:
1. Same access switch
2. On the 6500 before the WAN connection
3. From Level 3 (beyond the WAN connection)

The locations above are for the client ; the server should remain at the
same place.
Each location should be tested twice: With the server set to 100M and to
1G.

Another thing is to validate that the WAN link is capable of providing a
full 1G rate. If you can run an iperf test over it at 1G (outgoing!) it
would allow us to validate this part.

Thanks
Arie