[c-nsp] Looping up far end smartjack

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Jun 28 19:20:26 EDT 2010

On 6/28/10 4:00 PM, Adam Korab wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Richey <mylists at battleop.com> wrote:
>
>> I was hoping to avoid having to go to the colo late at night.   We did
>> finally hear from the customer. A breaker had tripped and they person on
>> duty had no idea where the breakers were in the building.
>>

> T1 duty was long ago in a galaxy far away for me...but aren't NIUs all
> line-powered?  That is, wouldn't you want to loop the remote CSU/DSU anyway
> to confirm power?

Can't speak for all, but every T1 NIU I've seen has been powered from
central office battery over the same pair(s) that deliver the T1 signal.

So, ability to loop the NIU verifies that the telco span to the premise
and the NIU itself are working.

If the NIU loops up and the CSU doesn't, then the most likely issues are
local utility power or inside wiring.

If neither loops, it's most likely a trouble with the telco pair(s)
between the CO and the NIU, aka backhoe fade.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net