[c-nsp] MPLS best practices question

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jun 29 04:31:50 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 29 June 2010 03:10:07 am Christopher E. Brown
wrote:

> That only works until aq high $$$ customer starts
>  demanding 9000byte payloads for their IP in vrf or VPLS
>  service...

We run two networks - one for IP Transit, another for
national Metro-E (different companies, so don't think "NGN"
or any of that marketing, hehe).

We use 9,000 bytes for the IP Transit network, since the
majority of our customers come in at 1,500 bytes (even
though those ports run a higher MTU value), and the other
end of their interest is also coming in at a typical 1,500
bytes (transit, peering hand-off, e.t.c.).

On our Metro-E network, we've been running at 9,216 bytes,
mostly because that's over 80% Juniper-based. The 3750ME's
only talk 9,000 bytes (and yes, some customers have
requested for even 9,200 bytes as payload - go figure). So
we've been let down by the platform, but the edge has tended
to dictate the direction.

More recent platforms that we're deploying will be
supporting higher MTU values in the edge, and not having to
reconfigure the core is a plus. It just wasn't a problem in
the past because IS-IS didn't need to extend into the
access. Now it does, and we always want to avoid any
trickery when abstracting MTU values between disparate links
re: adjacency formations. The 9,000 bytes in our IP Transit
network allowed us that uniformity, given the network's
function and limitations in the access.

Cheers,

Mark.